Wednesday, August 23, 2006

What's in M'Lynn's Phonograph?




Hey pigfuckers:

If any of you are able to tear yourself away from the new XXXTina album for more than ten minutes, I have another musical suggestion for you. (And for the record, I'm totes fine with her new album. My days of hatin' are long gone...or at least dormant until she pulls out the assless chaps again/Hell freezes over and Britty Pears comes back all hot and fierce.)

Anyhow, Drum and I subscribe to Napster and recently they kept plugging an album by a band called Mew on their homepage. I grew totally curious when I realized that the cover to their album, And the Glass-Handed Kites, reminded me of Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' video. (Never a bad thing!!) So I gave Mew a whirl, and you know what? I'm totally hooked. Their music is hard to describe. I read one review that said all of their music was ready for a laser-light show, and I think that's pretty accurate. I've been exploring some lighter rock music from the late '70s/early '80s lately, stuff like Supertramp and Toto,, so Mew's throwback sound certainly jibes with my new interest. And they're also compared favorably to two of my favorite bands of all time: college discoveries/geniuses The Pixies, and shoegazing masters My Bloody Valentine. Good pedigree, huh?

Take a whirl if you're interested. My suggestion: Try listening to the whole album through all the way, at least once, and then just start playing 'Apocalypso' 189 times in a row, just like I did. I know they're no Danity Kane, but they're worth the trouble. And yes, just so you're all placated, I temper my Mew marathons with a few sneaks of The Pussycat Dolls, Cassie, and maybe even Paris Hilton. Because at the end of the day, I'm still pop, y'all!

2 Comments:

Blogger jolie said...

love it - um, toto? amazing. hold the line, only the best song EVER.

10:12 AM, August 23, 2006

 
Blogger Truvy said...

"I bless the rains down in AAAAAAfricaaaaa."
Don't even talk about Toto!
Goodtimes.

11:12 AM, August 23, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home