Saturday, August 19, 2006

Christina Aguilera - Good Morning America Review

As if there was any question, I'm happy to report that Truvy, Drum and I represented the Cabinet this past Friday for Christina Aguilera's Good Morning America appearance. Truvy and I strolled into Bryant Park at 7:45 (Drum? I believe 6:00 am...now THAT'S love), almost at the exact moment Christina came out for rehearsal. Here are a few highlights from the morning:

  • It was noted that Christina's dancers were forced (we hope!) to rehearse in costume, unlike her, who was sporting some comfy jeans and a ridiculously unnecessary sweater-coat-shawl piece. I had to believe this was uncomfortable in 80 degrees and high humidity, but hey, the lady wants what the lady wants.
  • Diane Sawyer was NOT present, which completely infuriated me. Truvy and I speculated that Christina and Diane had some nasty run-in in the past and that Diane refused to participate. Diane was a highlight of the Whitney GMA taping that the Cabinet attended many moons ago. This was the appearance during which Whitney threatened to fire the stage crew after almost tripping on a wire, accused the children's choir she was performing with of screwing up a song and started if over, and generally acted like a big bag of crazy. Yeah...that one.
  • Christina had a massive entourage that would scurry out between tapings, including (I believe) a personal assistant who looked like Ashtray Simpson with oversize sunglasses. During these breaks, Christina would manically reapply red lipstick as if it was laced with crystal meth. We liked to fantasize that she's constantly screaming backstage "MORE....RED....LIPSTICK!" *
  • Christina had a super hot J-Tim/K-Fed backup dancer who kept trying to show off during breaks, flipping his hat and doing somersaults. We got it, dude...you're hot.
  • Christina blew her her tits clean off on every song. My most rabid moment was during "Candyman" (clip above), when she proceeded to belt what I believe is a high E above middle C over an entire chorus of the song. Um, that ain't easy to do folks...especially at 8:00 in the morning. You'll also see in the clip that the choregraphy is fun, flirty, and well executed. I am extremely excited to hear this will be her next single.

* Done in Faye Dunaway "NO WIRE HANGERS!" inflection from 'Mommie Dearest'".

I strolled out of Bryant Park at 9am, with just enough time to hop on the train uptown for two stops and stroll into work right on time. On the train, I was thinking once again about how much of a charmed existence I live here in NYC. The fact that I could make a slight diversion out of my normal day and have this experience...well, ridiculous is the best word for it. I've lived in the city for six years and despite cramped quarters, high cost of living, pollution and terrorism, I never cease to be thankful for every single day. Living in New York City is LIVING, people!

Whoa...getting a little heady here...this started as a pop music post. Speaking of which, it was just announced that BEYONCE will also be doing a GMA appearance on September 9th. I'd like to point out that the name of her album is 'B'Day' and this is, in fact, a day after my own birthday. Expect a full report!

2 Comments:

Blogger Truvy said...

Once again, excellent commentary Clairee.
My favorite moment from the morning was the obvious girl/fanatic standing behind us with her BF, who keep saying, "I hope she sings Beautiful.", over and over again.
Then, when Xtina did sing "Beautiful", the girl screamed, "OMG! That's so random! You think she heard me?".
Goodtimes.

ps... I'm down for some Beyonce.

9:49 PM, August 19, 2006

 
Blogger Robert said...

B Day? let's hope she doesn't drop a BOMB!

har har.

12:21 PM, August 21, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home