Monday, January 02, 2006

Music to die to...

I’ve put together for all of you a little playlist including some of my favorite depressing music. I started thinking about this because I received the newest copy in the mail the other day of Truvy’s kicking new remix cd. Well, she included a remix of Kelly Clarkson’s “Because of You” on it, which I love because of course it is about her parents’ divorce. “Yeaaaaaaaaah!! The divorce song is on…let’s hit the dance floor!” I mean, this is nothing new – as you all know we fags will remix and dance to anything…even if it is about, say, rape, suicide or domestic violence. So I decided to brainstorm some of my favorite slit-your-wrists songs in my library, ripe for remixing:

“Wise Up” – Aimee Mann
“The Saddest Song I’ve Got” – Annie Lennox
“Eleanor Rigby” – The Beatles
“Feel to Believe” – Beth Orton
“Love Ridden” – Fiona Apple
“Black Eyed Dog” – Nick Drake
“Rowing Song” – Patty Griffin
“Hurt” – Johnny Cash
“Exit Music (For a Film)” – Radiohead
“Putting the Damage On” – Tori Amos
“Maps” – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
“You Had Time” – Ani Difranco
“Goodbye My Lover” – James Blunt
“I’m Gonna Be Strong” – Cyndi Lauper
“Worn Me Down” – Rachel Yamagata
“The Origin of Love” – Hedwig and the Angry Inch

What artists have I missed? What do you all listen to when you just want to light some candles, draw a warm bath, and end it?

9 Comments:

Blogger Truvy said...

once, this kid broke up with me and I listened to Michelle Branch's "Goodbye to You" (Accoustic version) on repeat for a solid week.

ooh, and "Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)" by either Gladys Knight OR Jennifer Hudson is one of my all-time favorites.

12:30 AM, January 03, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about "everybody hurts" by REM

or just watch Felicity reruns in the dark

both are equally depressing!

12:51 AM, January 03, 2006

 
Blogger Robert said...

hi, i started crying just THINKING about songs such as "rowing song" and "putting the damage on." thanks. the further i go, more letters from home never arrive. indeed.

10:29 AM, January 03, 2006

 
Blogger German said...

that's so strange because i have never thought of Rowing Song as depressing. however, i will agree to you Ani track. but i would also like to add "Sorry I Am" to the mix.

11:06 AM, January 03, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about "lullaby for caine" by sinead o connor

1:43 PM, January 03, 2006

 
Blogger Shelby said...

Hands down, it's gotta be "Everytime" by Britty Pears. That song makes me tear up every time I hear it.

5:46 PM, January 03, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Annie Lennox belongs on there...but how can you think of death in a bathtub with candles and not think of the Cure...particilarly "Pictures of You" draw the bath water Shelby.

6:00 PM, January 03, 2006

 
Blogger Hilary said...

"Last Goodbye"- Jeff Buckley. I lose it every time.

2:32 PM, January 04, 2006

 
Blogger jolie said...

"the last day of our acquaintance" by sinead o'connor. kills me every time. or "one more night" by phil collins. or "sometimes you can't make it on your own" by U2. or "brick" by ben folds five. I could go on for days...

9:42 AM, January 06, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home