Tuesday, August 29, 2006

What About Bob?




Today marks the release date for music legend Bob Dylan's 31st album, 'Modern Times,' and I need to get something off of my chest before we get any further along in this post. Bob Dylan does absolutely nothing for me. I have tried listening to his music and my usual response is one of two things: 'Lord, a butter knife to the veins would feel mighty nice right now...' or 'I hope the man who sounds like he's dying a slow, painful death on that record got some help as soon as he was finished recording this song.'

Am I the only person out there who just does not get it and, frankly, does not care about Bob Dylan's presence in the world of music? Does this make me a bad person? I'm simply not interested. And I'm also tired of the typical response to his albums, which goes something like this: Cover of Rolling Stone magazine, slew of four- or five-star reviews, umpteen Grammy nominations, incoherent performance at said Grammy ceremony.

By the way, Dylan is quoted in the new Rolling Stone magazine saying that "modern music is worthless." Wow, what a shocking and original statement, and something I never would have expected him to say...NAWWWWT!! Honestly, Mr. Dylan, you have a show on XM Satellite Radio where you are free to play whatever the heck you want, so what's the point of dissing current music? As far as I'm concerned, hippie folk music from the '60s is worthless, and I don't want to hear any of it. I'm so over these legendary rock stars (*cough cough* JONI MITCHELL *cough cough*) who feel the need to slam what's currently popular just so they can move a few more copies of their new projects.

I can't take it on. Please, somebody, play me some Timberlake, stat!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Truvy said...

Oh Boy! You're preaching to the choir here. I think Ouizer and I just had this same conversation over that Rolling Stone cover this past weekend. I don't think I could tell you one Bob Dylan song that I like. It's always gone right over my head. And I'm soooo tired of old fogeys dissing modern music. I'm sure they were pretty outraged when peeps dissed Elvis for dancing and The Beatles for having mop tops. A wise man once said, "the way I feel about The rolling Stones is how my kids are going to feel about NIN, so I should stop tormenting my parents." So truedat.

BTW... don't EVEN get me started on sourpuss Joni Mitchell. I'll never forgive her for winning the 1996 grammy for Best Pop Album over Mariah's "Daydream", an album that scored Miss Carey THREE #1 hits. I mean... cameo, c'mon! Even Joni fans that I've mentioned this to, can't remember what the name of that album was. What a crock.

10:57 AM, August 29, 2006

 
Blogger Clairee said...

Someone needs to slap Joni Mitchell as hard as possible across the face. Maybe then she'd stop talking about how she invented music.

9:23 AM, August 30, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home