Saturday, April 22, 2006

Confession on a (popper-filled) dance floor



I'd like to come out as a KC and the Sunshine Band fan here on the blog. Is that okay with all of you? It should be: Check out the racial equality and those sweet threads in the picture of the band above, which was taken at the height of their fame in the post-Watergate era. And KC was also a very handsome man back in the day. How can you deny me?!

KC and his cohorts are considered among the most 'mainstream' of the disco stars of the mid- to late '70s, racking up an impressive five #1 hits that spent a total of six weeks at the top of the charts. I realize that KC and the Sunshine Band's Greatest Hits album is a requisite for any Obvious Girl's Super Heinous Turnin' 21 Karaoke Jumpoff, but their songs are just so much damn fun. They gave us 'Get Down Tonight,' '(Shake Shake Shake) Shake Your Booty,' 'That's the Way (I Like It),' and my personal favorite, 'Keep It Comin' Love.'

I recall a VH1 Behind the Music about these guys from quite a few years back, and the incredibly astute comment made by one of those talking heads. Some lady trying to expound on KC's enduring popularity said, 'You know, Bob Dylan may have written some of the greatest lyrics of his generation, but his music never made me want to get up and dance.'

To which I raise my glass and said, 'Amen, sister!'

Next up: My secret obsession with Juice Newton...

1 Comments:

Blogger jolie said...

I've got Juice on vinyl, honey love.

4:16 PM, April 23, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home