Friday, April 14, 2006

I’m confused by your behavior!

I know this is off what we normally do here on RYBS, but…

I was walking through a random hallway at work today and I passed by a man I had never seen before. He was a little older, maybe in his mid-50’s, nicely dressed, crisply ironed shirt, tie and all. I’m pretty sure he was straight. As I passed, I smiled what I hoped was politely, silently wondering how fast I could get back to my desk without having to smile at strangers. He returned my greeting by…wait for it…winking. What does this mean? Who winks? I’m seriously asking you… who winks at someone they’ve never seen before?

I realize I might be over-thinking a simple wink, but this little run-in reminded me of a situation that occurred a few years back, before I got a new job and switched insurance carriers. I had been to a particular doctor for a few relatively uneventful visits. I was getting up to leave on my second or third visit when he leaned towards me and…wait for it…hugged me. Yes, hugged me. Since I do not in fact have a soul and get uncomfortable hugging my own boyfriend and mother, needless to say I was speechless. I immediately called my boyfriend after stepping out of the office and asked him to confirm this was odd behavior. I mean, I didn’t feel like it was a sexual act, but what doctor hugs his patient, especially after only a handful of visits?

Next visit, the exact same thing happened. Based on the repeat behavior, I was starting to think perhaps he did want to turn me around and do it doggy style. The following visit, he hugged me outside the actual examination room, in the hallway, in front of other patients and nurses. This I found even more disturbing. Clearly this was NOT sexual, but in fact perceived normal behavior on his part. I never got to the bottom of it.

Riffing on sexual harassment, the last thing I will leave you with is the most disturbing thing that has ever been said to me in a gay bar. I was at Urge once on a Saturday night, and while waiting for the bathroom, a disgusting old man offered to give me drugs if I would hook up with him in the bathroom. And that wasn’t the disgusting part. While I thought I expressed to him my clear displeasure, he followed with a statement that is so wrong on so many levels I still cannot process it:

“You remind me of my son’s best friend.”

Freakout.

Can you trump me? Please share your most horrifying sexual harassment story…

2 Comments:

Blogger Ouizer said...

Once a very drunk lesbian at Saints thought I was another girl and took ice out of her bourbon rocks, stuck it in my mouth and proceeded to swirl it around. I think that might be slightly more invasive.

11:30 PM, April 14, 2006

 
Blogger Robert said...

i'm getting pretty sick of being the star in all you guys's stories-mainly because you always call me "that old man." my name's Robert!

1:54 PM, April 17, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home