Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I'm Sho Exschited (part deux)


Last night I had the amazing fortune of being M'Lynn's plus one at a Showtime party honoring 'Liza with a Z.' As you may know, Showtime is airing this gem of a show on April 1st. Gonna be a JUMP! It's the first time it is being shown on TV since 1973. If this isn't gay christmas, I don't know what is.
I really can't remember a time when I didn't love Liza. She has always had a special presence in my life (and I'm assuming in the lives of most Read Your Blog, Shelby! readers). Bitch has been through it all. Drugs, booze, Fosse, Mama Judy... What other human would be able to withstand that?
Obviously, the best part of this event was the people (read: blow) watching and star gazing. It was at the Supper Club so you had your old plump ladies wearing sequined jackets and waiters wearing bolero hats and fake moustaches. Awesome. Here is a list of my sightings:
1. Joan Collins. I saw her in the bathroom and she looked like a corpse with an 80's wig, pink lipstick and too much rouge on her cheeks. One of the best sightings ever. I luv'er.
2. Jane Krakowski. Or, as Ouizer would say, Jane KrakANUS. Eh. She's boring but you have to give it to her for putting up with Calista Flockhart those years. I still think her finest work was as the white trash cousin in 'Vacation.'
3. Rufus Wainwright. Don't have much to say.
4. Alan Cumming. Was with his boyfriend (pretty cute). An Alan Cumming sighting really isn't that big of a deal. HOWEVER, he was talking to these two old BLOWS that eerily resembled and acted like Edina and Patsy from Ab Fab. After about an hour of talking (and three trips to the dessert stand for Edina) the two old BLOWS got up (not that gracefully as they had probably had some valium along with their 10 glasses of wine). Edina was all "Alan, darling, it was great to meet you, please do e-mail me." Priceless.
5. Scott Nevins. BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! (see prior posts by Clairee and M'Lynn explaining why he must die.)
6. David Hyde Pierce. Zzzzzzzzz...
7. John Waters chatting with Parker Posey. It took every fiber of my being to not go up to them and say that 'Female Trouble' and 'Waiting for Guffman' truly changed my life.

And of course, the best one of 'em all.... Miss Liza May herself. The band started playing "New York, New York" and Liza walked in with Tony Danza right behind her (where else would he be?). One of the most comforting sights I've ever seen in my life. I totally felt like I was at the modern day Studio 54 (minus the drugs, sex and Truman Capotayyy.) Now, Liza probably had no idea where she was but that's not the point. The point is, it's Liza and no matter how blown she is, we must always respect and recognize there will NE'ER be another showman like her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home