Tuesday, January 10, 2006

"EVERYBODY GETS A LIE!!!!"

I read James Frey's harrowing addiction memoir "A Million Little Pieces" last year after reading some positive reviews and thought it sucked ass. Then Oprah decided it was the best book since sliced bread, bust a nut all over it on her show, and it then proceeded to sell a gazillion copies to blown-out housewives who had no idea what to make of it (incidentally, over winter break I was with my mother in a book store and she pointed to the book, saying "Do NOT read that book." I replied, "Too late"). Now, I am loving this whole scandal. Allegedly (my lawyers make me say that), large portions of the book were fabricated, as reported by our favorite source of blown James Brown and Nick Nolte mugshots - The Smoking Gun. I mean, the fact that this poseur could go down and Oprah could be slightly discredited in one fell swoop is just too good to be stinkin' true. Incidentally, if anyone wants to read a good non-fiction book, I just finished Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking" and it was brilliant. It's a bit slit-your-wrists-with-a-dirty-razorblade, but excellent nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home