Thursday, March 30, 2006

Open the gates and seize the day...


Since we're on the subject of favorite obscure movies, I have to put a plug in for "Newsies" (1992). Sure, it's a pretty bad movie but SUCH a guilty pleasure for all us theatre fags and hags who were in our tween prime in 1992. This film has it all... cliched jazz dancing (thanks to 80's choreographer extraordinaire, Kenny Ortega), a young Christian Bale, Max Casella ("Vinny" from Doogie Howser, M.D.)and Dee Caspary (this kid I used to compete against in cheesy dance competitions and who was a dancer in Paula Abdul's "Forver your Girl" video). It also has a very homoerotic opening scene given the fact it has a G rating. The dancing is great, the songs are better - - if you haven't seen this gem yet, watch it today!
Oh, I forgot to mention there is this part in the opening song where this woman blows her tits off singing for no reason... Clairee and I LOVE it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Clairee said...

DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT IT!!! This movie defines "guilty pleasure". Shortly after it came out, I was in this trashy high school show choir and we performed in a competition at Disney World where practically every other choir was rocking out to Newsies, i.e. "Open the gates and seize the day!!!" And I have to admit I was a little jealous.

Wait - did I just admit that I was in an Indiana show choir that performed at Disney World, and that I wanted to sing selections from "Newsies"? Wow, sometimes I even surprise myself at the level of fagginess...

9:35 AM, April 01, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home