Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Look! Up in the sky! I can see her panties!

With all of Ouizer's talk of Mommie Dearest, I was reminded of another campy Faye Dunaway movie that I love, "Supergirl" (1984).

I had this on VHS when I was a young'un and I used to watch it everyday. I hadn't seen it since I was like 10 years old, so I ordered it online (at Amazon via The Book Bin. BTW... great site, got my movie in 2 days), and it DID NOT disappoint. It's made by the same peeps who brought you the "Superman" movies (FYI: for it's off-the-meter camp value, #4 is my favorite).

The movie is basically about Supergirl (Helen Slater) coming to Earth to rescue the lost Omegahedron (her planet's major power source) from the evil sorceress, Selena (Faye Dunaway). She's totally a kid on her planet, and therefore a total fish out of water here on Earth. Selena and her sidekick, Bianca (Brenda Vaccaro), are deadset on taking over the world and are as over the top as expected. The special effects are on par with the Superman movies, the acting is fine, but the script has some major holes in it. I'm bound to have it re-memorized in a matter of weeks.

I was so obsessed with this movie as a kid that I even had the 'chose your own adventure' book. I must have read that thing a million times. No doubt, that'll be my next purchase.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

this is such a classic late-80s tbs specialty.

9:07 AM, March 30, 2006

 
Blogger Clairee said...

Totes! I used to watch this movie on a weekly basis...

10:26 AM, April 01, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home