Sunday, January 22, 2006

Smoke Ceeeg-arettes and Loook Gooooood


I realize that it's always going to be cool to rip on Saturday Night Live, and lots of folks have done exactly that for this very uneven season. (As funny as some of those skits were last night, did anybody notice how many production flubs they had? And how distracted everybody seemed to be?) One reason for the current dip in quality, in my opinion, is the sorely obvious absence of my favorite cast member, Maya Rudolph. Whether playing a drunken Donatella Versace, living it up as one of the members of the (sorely missed and sadly defunct) Destiny's Child knockoff Gemini's Twin, co-hosting the deliciously geeky in-school A/V production "Wake Up Wakefield," or singing the intro theme song to "Gays In Space," Maya never fails to make me crack my shit up. And girlfriend has been on maternity leave for what seems like FOREVER!

Incidentally, in researching this post, I found out two very interesting factoids: Maya was a keyboardist for the indie-rock group The Rentals back in the day. (I lived for their song "Friends of P" during my freshman year of college.) And...AND!!! The father of her baby is none other than Fiona Apple's one-time boyfriend (and Boogie Nights visionary) Paul Thomas Anderson!! How come I didn't know this?!

3 Comments:

Blogger Truvy said...

I thought it was a bit blasphemous of Will Forte to sing Maya's "Gays in Space" intro. I would have rather looked at a cardboard cutout of Maya while she phoned it in from her baby's nursery.

btw, what up? did she quit or is she coming back?

2:00 PM, January 22, 2006

 
Blogger M'Lynn said...

The NBC website says she's on maternity leave. I guess it -has- only been about three months since she had the kid, but damn, you know these actresses are allllz eager to get back to work and dump the kids on the nannies, so I just assumed she'd do the same. I mean, Gwynnie's gonna shoot that kid out and go make some movie and start whining about how hard it is right away, right?

7:18 PM, January 22, 2006

 
Blogger Robert said...

ANNNND, her mother is the woman who sang "la la la la la la/la la la la la/la la la la la la la la la la/lovin' you/is easy 'cause you're beautiful..."

trivia.

10:10 AM, January 23, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home