Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Poor, Poor, Daphne...


Somewhere right now, Daphne Rubin Vega, a dark alley and a heroin needle are gettin' real, real friendly. Seriously though, as all this buzz starts building on the movie version of Rent (which, incidentally, I fully plan on seeing...who's with me?) I am reminded how they hired pretty much the ENTIRE original Broadway cast except for her. That's seriously the most humiliating thing I've heard of or seen since Ashtray on SNL! Strange enough that they would rehire all these actors who are pushing 40 to play early 20's, but to exclude her in order to hire "star" Rosario Dawson? I don't get it... C'mon guys, lest we forget Daphne's brilliant turn as the detective in Wild Things? (okay...actually she was doing "stage business" the entire movie...moving around pencils while seemingly reading her lines off a prompter... but hells... the movie was still campy-amazing because of three words...Denise Richards jumpoff!)

All this to say - hang in there gurl, things will turn around! You're gonna get that big break again! But in the meantime, just enjoy the feel of that sweet rush traveling into that arm. That's it, that's it, baby...shhh......

6 Comments:

Blogger M'Lynn said...

Hee hee. I've always liked ol' Daph, and I too think it's blasphemous that she was not cast as the movie's Mimi. I mean, for the generation that is going to go see this movie to remember their first rush of 'Rent' almost ten years ago, DRV -is- Mimi.

9:59 PM, November 16, 2005

 
Blogger Robert said...

stage business: the amateur actor's (re: my) savior.

9:01 AM, November 17, 2005

 
Blogger Ouizer said...

I think Mariah should have been cast as Mimi! I would kill for a Glitter Part II.

10:13 AM, November 17, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is not the only one that is not from the original cast. Tracie Thoms was not in the Broadway cast. Daphne was pregnant at the time that they started shooting the film so she was unable to be in it.

1:17 PM, November 17, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me but, as a RENThead, I must comment. Actually, it wasn't Daphne's pregnancy that prevented her from starring as Mimi instead of ugly alien Rosario Dawson. It was the fact that, sadly, Daphne has what I like to call "Julie Andrews syndrome." After years of abusing her voice in RENT and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, etc., she can't sing anymore. It's sad. It's true.

6:35 PM, November 17, 2005

 
Blogger Clairee said...

Thanks for the comments. I figured there had to be SOME reason?! I'm not surprised if it was for vocal reasons - as much as I loved her, it always sounded like her vocal cords were getting shredded...I think Kelly Clarkson also is going to have "Julie Andrews" syndrome...I love her but it always sounds painful to me.

11:18 PM, November 17, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home