Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Demon Barber of 21 Jump Street?

As the resident recovering-show-queen on the cabinet, I feel that it is my duty to report on this news of a Tim Burton directed, Johnny Depp starring movie version of Sweeney Todd. I actually must say, it's perfect! I seriously couldn't dream up a better team to bring one of my favorite musicals of all time to the big screen. I'm not totally convinced Johnny has the singing chops, being that Sweeney is really more an opera than a musical, but he could definitely bring so much to the role.

Who do you think should be Mrs. Lovett? Don't shoot me, and I know she's way too young, but thinking of Hollywood actresses I wouldn't mind seeing Brittany Murphy give it a go. She's definitely off her rocker, so she could pull off the demented popping-pussies-into-pies dark comedic element, and now we know she has some singing ability as well, even if it is super-over-produced (Faster Kill Pussycat, whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I'm obsessed with that shit...)

Incidentally, if for some ungodly reason you haven't seen the brilliant production currently on Broadway starring Michael Cerveris and Patti LuPone, what the hell are you waiting for? Patti plays the TUBA on stage for God's sake. The second I saw that, I was like, I don't wanna argue about it - just hand her the Tony. But did that happen? NOOOOO. Instead, the Tony voters thought it would be a good idea to vote for a two-bit, dime-a-dozen, obvi-sistah-who-can-sing, LaChanze. Why should I be surprised? This is the same awards show that in 2000 named as Best Musical a show with no live singing and no orchestra. Heinous!

3 Comments:

Blogger Baby Jane said...

Patti LuPone was totally robbed...

6:13 PM, June 27, 2006

 
Blogger Truvy said...

I'm LOVING "Faster Kill Pussycat". Ouizer turned me on to that song. We heard it on Fire Island and blew our tits off.
Go 'head Tai! WERK!
Goodtimes.

6:59 PM, June 27, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bette Midler should be Mrs Lovett. or Bernedette Peters.

11:22 AM, July 06, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home