Sunday, July 23, 2006

Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye


Word on the street is that the end is nigh for The Cabinet's official stomping ground, Miss Roxy. Our favorite meeting place will be forever shuttering its doors at the end of the month to make room for yet another cookie-cutter set of riverfront condos. I know I speak for all of us here at Shelby that this news comes as a shocking BLOW!, and not in a good way, either. To add insult to injury, it seems as if promoter John Blair is going to let this New York institution creep away into the night, without an all-out extravaganza befitting a club that has been the cornerstone of the New York dance community since 1990.

If you get a chance to orbit Venus one last time, you should try to stop by next weekend for Peter Rauhofer's Roxy Classics party on July 29th. I really wish I could change my plans and stay in the city that weekend, but I've already committed myself to a wild weekend on the Isle of Fire. I guess I made my peace with this news during Pride this year, when I went to one of the best Roxy parties ever thrown. To some it may seem silly that a dance club holds so much significance, but were it not for Roxy I may never have met Truvy or Clairee, and the walls of that space hold my fondest memories of all of us together blowing it as only the Cabinet can.

My top five Roxy BLOW!s:

1. Madonna's Surprise Visit to Promote Confessions On A Dancefloor
"I have a very long history with the Roxy...my whole career started with twelve inches," exclaims a saucy Madge in all her sparkly blue perfection. Thousands respond in ecstatic cheers as the heat threatens to make more than a few pass out. Meanwhile, Ouizer freaks out on the back couches ranting "Gremlin Jump! Gremlin Jump!" for the better part of an hour.

2. Beyonce Makes Her Baby Boys Crazy In Love
SBNY may have gotten Britty Pears in the zone and out all night, but shortly thereafter Beyonce trumped Mrs. Federline's impromptu NY gay club performance by putting on a mini-extravaganza of her own. A pair of awe-inspiring performances of "Baby Boy" and "Crazy In Love", peppered with B warmly interacting with the audience - "I see YOU over there in da braids! I see you screaming on yo' cell phone!" - made this a Cabinet Night to Remember.

3. Peter Rauhofer's Madonnathon
A night of Madonna mixes from all periods of her career - who would have thought we'd ever hear True Blue album track "Where's The Party" blasting from the Roxy Phazon sound system? - was an evening where we couldn't wait to hear what was coming next. Big props to Peter for making Gap ad theme "Into The Hollywood Groove" into a credible dance staple.

4. "Me Against The Music" Remix Premiere
Much talk was made of the 'passing of the baton' from Madonna to Britty Pears, but the original version of the track had many snickering and pop radio showed only mild interest in the collaboration. Peter's remix, a heady electro reworking of the tune, had the crowd going wild with it's stuttering "B-B-B-B-B-Britney" intro. Ouizer and Shelby played a coy game of cat and mouse around the Roxy couches in homage to the video's ridiculous maze sequence.

5. Ouizer's Birthday Blowout 2002-2006
What more can I say? Birthday Blowouts will continue,but they will never be the same again.

And a list of my Top Twenty Roxy Anthems...songs that made me freak out as soon as I heard the opening bars and, yes, on occasion, to cry like a fool on the dancefloor:

20. "Nobody Knows Me" (Peter Rauhofer Private Life Mix) - Madonna
19. "Milkshake" (X-Press 2 Remix) - Kelis
18. "Me Against The Music" (Peter Rauhofer Remix) - Britty Pears featuring Madonna
17. "Luv 2 Luv" (Cevin Fisher Mix) - Suzanne Palmer
16. "Dark Beat" (Original Mix) - Oscar G
15. "Just A Little While" (Peter Rauhofer Mix) - Boobie Jumpoff
14. "Love That Man" (Peter Rauhofer Retro Mix) - La Whitney
13. "Wish I Didn't Miss You" (Hex Hector Remix) - Angie Stone
12. "17 Again" (Peter Rauhofer Mix) - Eurythmics
11. "Toxic" (Peter Rauhofer Mix) - Britty Pears
10. "Home" (Offer Nissim Mix Part I) - Suzanne Palmer
9. "Impressive Instant" (Peter Rauhofer Universal Mix) - Madonna
8. "Lose My Breath" (Peter Rauhofer Breathless Mix) - Destiny's Child
7. "Searching" (Original Mix) - Offer Nissim featuring Maya
6. "Heartattack" (Peter Rauhofer Particular Mix) - Jahkey B featuring Satta
5. "Whatchulookinat?" (Peter Rauhofer Mix) - La Whitney
4. "Beautiful" (Peter Rauhofer Mix) - XXXtina
3. "Emotional Rollercoaster" (That Kid Chris Mix) - Vivian Green
2. "Easy As Life" (Tony Moran Mix) - Deborah Cox
1. "Appreciate Me" (Peter Rauhofer's Trip To Paradise Mix) - Amuka

Ah Miss Roxy, you'll always be in my heart, and I've got more than a handful of memories tucked in the back pocket of my favorite jeans to last me my whole life.

xoxo,

Ouizer

7 Comments:

Blogger Clairee said...

Don't even talk about it! Were it not for the Roxy, I would have never met the Cabinet OR my boyfriend of four and a half years. And blowing it out there with A-list divas wasn't half bad, either...

Oh, and to your list I would like to add "Die Another Die", to which I had a religious experience. Also, anything Kim English was likely to get a gay panic scream from me and some frantic elbowing of people to get to a prominent spot on the dance floor.

9:35 AM, July 24, 2006

 
Blogger Shelby said...

No. I can't. I won't. Are we absolutely sure of this closure? I can't bear to think of Roxy not existing. It makes me want to tear up. Seriously, a little lone tear is coming down my face right now. Ouizer is right that the Cabinet would not exist without Roxy. I have so many memories of that place (and many that I need to be reminded of). It's like home. A big, dirty, stanky germ-infested blown home. If those couches could talk...
I can't imagine it not being there. I'll miss so many things. I'm just happy that blown bathroom attendant left this earth before she could see this happen. Knowing her, she'd get inbetween the club and the bulldozers.
I heart you, Roxy. 4 EVA.

11:28 AM, July 24, 2006

 
Blogger Truvy said...

Ouizer, you almost made ME tear up with this love letter to dear Miss Roxy.
I always say I grew up at Roxy. It was one of the first places I went to when I came out and moved to NYC... and I've been going there ever since.
I find it hard to believe that J Blair would shutter the doors without a final extravaganza. It's a crying shame.

I would like to add a few songs to your list that hold fond memories for me.
Madonna - What It Feels Like For a Girl (That Kid Chris mix)
Sunshine Anderson - Heard It All Before (Junior Vasquez mix)
Monica - Get It Off (That Kid Chris mix)
Killer Bunnies - The Heartbreak (Friburn & Urik mix)
Andrea Brown - It's Love (Trippin')

Goodtimes, I could really go on and on.
Yeahhh, Roxy has been good to me. She's been good to all of us. If it does close, Miss Roxy should be proud of her legacy.

1:50 AM, July 25, 2006

 
Blogger M'Lynn said...

I don't think I'm ready to write an epitaph yet. I'll be sure to pen one, however, if this rumor really -is- true.

1:31 PM, July 25, 2006

 
Blogger Truvy said...

Shelby and I took Husband and Carebear out to da club to hear Peter Rauhofer spin "Roxy Classics" last night, and wow, pow, bam... That shit was awesome. There was no filler ALL NIGHT, just hit after hit from the get-go. In fact, the only new song he played was Madonna's "Get Together". I think "Waiting for Tonight" is when I went into full twirl mode, and I nearly had a heart attack because of overly excessive wildin' out during "Don't Want Another Man" (Ouizer knows how much I LUV Tina Ann). Kevin Aviance "performed" THREE times and I didn't even mind. All in all, if it was indeed the last party at Roxy, then it was a perfect one. Revisiting all the great songs that made Miss Roxy home for so many, Peter gave her a most respectful send-off.

Goodtimes. We love you Roxy.

3:48 PM, July 30, 2006

 
Blogger Clairee said...

I hereby retract my earlier statement regarding Kim English, considering she just pulled all that "Homosexualty is not God's design" bullshit in Next magazine. Ouizer and Truvy - get ready to boo her when we're all at Beatstock together!!!

8:59 PM, July 30, 2006

 
Blogger M'Lynn said...

Kim English is a twat who cannot sing to save her life. HANEOUS!

11:21 AM, August 01, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home